Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tuesday 10/14 Journal

I'm sitting here now on my bed blogging to you, listening to Miles Davis. Not only Miles Davis, but his best work in my opinion, "So What"; a very simple piece in structure from a theoretical stand point. So, what? SO WHAT!? What is it all about anyway? Today has been spent painting for most of the day, and sketching. What is my subject? The one and the only Chopin himself, quite possibly the greatest romantic artist that ever lived. Some will say, "He's not an artist, he's a musician!" Oh but on the contrary! Musicians paint with noise, they choose from a color palate of emotion and feelings of which they want to paint the canvas with from paper to heart. Music to me is more than just a medium to carry the void of every day life, making that every day life some what easier to bear. No, music is a talent, and a gift that can be opened again and again and again. Musicians even included refrains and choruses, to help drive this point home. So what does it all mean? If you were Miles Davis, perhaps life means that regardless of the simplicity from a theoretical stand point, life can be complicated. Here in Italy life isn't too complicated. Wake up, art. Eat, art. Study break, more art. Italian, the artistic language. Eat, drink, sleep, repeat.

However, its the complications, the colors of the trip... every other ingredient of this amazing opportunity that makes this trip colorful, and worthwhile. Chopin and Davis have different styles to say the least, but both musicians had a knack for getting to people. I cannot help but be taken back to a state of mental focus, meditation, and release every time I hear this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIW2r1EalM (please listen to it while you continue to read!) Today's grand discovery has brought me great joy. I have found a tuned piano in the villa which I have fallen in love with. I've had cravings you see.. desperate cravings that I've needed to fulfill. I've been without the ability to sit down and mesmerize myself in the harmonic melodies of a piano in a long time. Now, fortunately I have that ability and it's fantastic! Dedicated to Chopin, I've not only painted his portrait but I've played his music for all to hear. So what does it all mean you ask? Each and every day, we can find reasons to make life more colorful, regardless the medium. I've grown fond of such mediums of music and pen on paper, what will you create?

Stay classy... stay strong, be colorful

LS

1 comment: