Saturday, October 25, 2014

Ciao,


           Ah, the success of our journey today through Pompeii is comforting indeed. To feel such emotion for the preserved bodies that have been molded from their original resting places within the ash from Mt. Vesuvius, is the most unappreciated way to phrase the experience. Seeing the bones, the toenails and the facial expressions still alive and very vibrant and clear on their faces is almost haunting. The beauty of the city is only imaginable, as it sadly is mostly destroyed. However through the gifts of donations, restoration has begun over a century ago and will continue today. Who knows what will be found if we keep digging, searching for a civilization lost well before its prime. What an unfortunate fate!

           Though, it's true that the greatest things in life are those worth mourning over when they're lost. Pompeii in my opinion serves as a physical representation of this advice, and is rather accurate. I can't really put my finger on a description of how I feel exactly. Part of me is torn that such a city has gone to ruins and destroyed, yet are we not destroying it further by ripping the layers of skin, of closure that have rested above the ancient city for centuries? This oxymoron can eat at the soul if one lets it, similar to how we're eating away at the surface of this Earth to learn from its past. Our country (United States of America) is so young, in its rebellious teenage years I feel we cannot compare anything we've lost to what the greater parts of Europe can claim to fame. It is said to be greater to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I feel this is true in this medium. It is greater to have lived and to lose such a wonderful ancient city and thriving metropolis for its time than to have never had such a place to begin with. NO offense to our native people who have inhabited "our" country for so long before the foolish and ignorant white man had landed on its shores. Christopher didn't even know where he was landing. Okay so let me just... stop there before this gets any more political, hence I digress. Regardless! I was taken back today by the vast discovery that is Pompeii today. I know that I wouldn't be the same person had I not seen Pompeii, and I am glad I am what I am now. Which is simply... more educated. I strongly believe that education is one of the greatest, if not the greatest gift one can receive on this Earth, other than the gift of life. One might say that education is the life of intelligence, and without the constant discovery into new planes of education we would not have a broad intelligence and appreciation of the world around us. I definitely agree with such a statement.


             Then there was dinner tonight. My eye had wandered as I walked the streets of Pompeii with eager curiosity. My eye stopped at a white sign that read "Ristorante Pompeii". It was not the sight of the sign that cast my vote, but the Bordeaux wine glasses on the tables and their glimmer that truly granted my full attention. The crisp and clean folds of the true fabric woven napkins, and the elegant little accented candles on each table that made the difference. Anyone can pick a classy font for a piece of painted plywood to hang on a walkway. It's the little details like the glisten of the wine glass from hand placed and careful lighting that does it for guys like me. When the four of us were seated, I chose a wine with careful scrutiny. My decision landed on a local wine brewed 2010. The selection was a dry red, for I was savory for beef tonight. The wine was a Rosso, particularly De Pompeino and very well flavored to my satisfaction and anticipation. For a prized first course, I selected a Caprese Salad, seasoned not only with the traditional basil leaves fresh picked; but garnished with fresh lemon native to Pompeii along with dill weed, rosemary, and a dash of cracked peppercorn. As the



































































No comments:

Post a Comment