Friday, October 3, 2014

10/3 Journal

Ciao!

This evening we arrived in Catania, a city towards the shores of Sicily. The city reminds me of those classic Sherlock Holmes episodes with Jeremy Brett; from the romantic architecture and presence of the past. Today is the first day I've been able to blog in a while due to the scarce internet supply and slow speeds. What makes this city unique? That I am yet to find out, it follows a few patterns that are unfortunately common in Sicily; the filth the crowded streets, and the stench. Though it is nicer in some of these categories relatively speaking, it is still bad. The amount of trash on the streets and the sides of the roads is sad, and honestly heartbreaking. I'm not normally one to gripe about the world's habits on pollution etc. normally I just let it go. However, here in Sicily, I am not able to do so so easily. The first destination we traveled to after our arrival to the island on the 29th, was Palermo, Sicily or Sicila as is natively spelled. "Little Iraq" is the running joke, as the description of the place. I've researched that the presence of middle eastern influence is popular, but I didn't know it was this popular. I mean that in the least amount of offense, though still it almost feels as though there is a presence of danger on every street corner. Traffic laws are a joke, almost as hilarious as the air to breathe. Stars are a faded dream, as the pollution is thick enough to be cut up and fried with eggs... rotten eggs would be more accurate I suppose.

The bottom layer, or first floor of all the buildings is covered inch by inch with graffiti, and above it all the baroque and renaissance to classic and romantic architecture remains in better condition. Honestly the city is laid out as though a jig puzzle. Piecing together one's position within the city is comparable to completing a jigsaw puzzle while someone is shaking the table with a jackhammer. Yet, once you get your groove, and a somewhat sense of direction through repetition it is bearable and a sense of peace is restored. The streets are so old, the painted lines are faded and glossed over from oil stains and debris constantly battered against it like a blacksmith's anvil. The urge to wash one's feet is constant, after taking only a few steps through the city. If you can get passed all the chaos and violet noises the interiors of some battered facades are really quite remarkable. The hotel we stayed in was surprisingly nice despite its illusions of decay from the exterior view. Power however, is a problem as the voltage is not nearly high enough to charge my Mac; again hence the lack of journals lately, my apologies to my followers!

To summarize the last few days, I will upload several pictures to tell more than words can.  I'm still enjoying myself very much, and thank all of those that made this possible. I thank my professor Mark Moak for his tolerance and patience with all of us crazy college folk. From getting myself left behind in a village after the bus left without me from a communication error, to organizing the epic voyages across the back alleys and hellish roadways of Palermo to get to the bus each morning; he has done a fantastic job keeping us all in tact. Kudos Mark! I feel blessed to be one of your fortunate students tagging along on this journey. We've had great times at the beach, hiking through wildlife reserves and relaxing at dinner with wine and stellar food. This trip is definitely changing me, and I feel I will never be the same person again; not that it's in a bad way, but I have definitely had to reboot my conscious a few times from sheer overload of data. We have had a fabulous bus driver, Mr. Carmelo a native to Sicily and resembling Antonio Banderas if I'm honest. He's put up with our pit-stops every time we've needed them with no complaints. He's been punctual and forgiving if we have not been. To thank him I gave him a generous tip from my own wallet along with a fine bottle of Malbec (Red Wine) I felt he deserved. My taste for wine is getting snobish, and I'm sort of proud of that. Wines that we couldn't have for under $70.00 US we can find for around 20,00 Euros which is fantastic I must add. Thank you followers, for your patience in waiting for my next entry. I miss you all back home, think of you and how great it would be if you were here with me!

Please comment, and ask questions as they come to you! Until next time, Ciao!

LS















1 comment: