Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Tue Nov 4 Journal

Ciao,

I know it has been a while since I posted anything, but I was traveling in Florence and was away from my computer. In a way that was rather refreshing, because it's truly nice to be completely unplugged sometimes. Florence was incredible! After an easy train ride there we were within a close walking distance from the train station to our hotel. From our hotel, the main attraction, the Florence Cathedral was also rather close in walking distance. Halloween was spent in Florence, and that was rather interesting too! Lot's of skeletons, from what I noticed.  People got creative in their facial expressions too, which was pretty awesome. I personally didn't dress up as anything but had fun none the less. I enjoyed walking around the city, such a busy city at that. It amazed me at how quickly wealth engulfed you as you walked closer to the main square. Shopping and fashion is obviously a really big deal there, and it's super hard not to spend money out the wazoo.

I did however succumb to the pressure and ended up purchasing some leather items for some special people dear to me in the states. I really enjoyed my trip to Florence and I will indeed return as soon as possible. Being that it is November I have joined the "No Shave November Challenge" and challenge my friends back home to do so as well! I think I have an upper leg on you guys though, because my beard is already quite thick and fierce at about an inch in length. I've never had such a beard before, but we try new things in life right? That's what humans do.

As far as the academics go... the real reason I'm here: Italian is coming along, despite my struggles I will not give up on the overwhelming new territory and will try to make myself a part of the fabric instead of splitting from the weave. Watercolor is pretty much over, though I may continue on my own volition. Watercolor was quite fun, and I definitely miss the company of the professor that taught the class, Mr. Jim Baken. Jim's very easy going, and very welcoming to be around. His methods of discipline are different than I'm used to, yet I still feel like his encouragement and good advice will help me someday down the line regardless the venue. Photography is an interesting field. I'm really trying my hardest in this field, yet I apparently am seriously struggling with the concepts of color. I've made several mistakes judging color in my photography post-processing. This is something I obviously can't help because I can't see the mistakes I'm making that everyone else can see clearly when I bring out colors I don't intend to; due to my partial color blindness. This has been a major blow, but I will do my best to stay afloat and recover. After all this is a learning experience and an instructional time, not an antagonizing demeaning time. Constructive criticism is all over the art industry, I've learned this from many people including my Grandfather who's had a career in the field and knows first hand. I will continue to take photos to the best of my abilities, and hopefully you folks out there that read my blog and look at my photos aren't too discouraged by what I've posted so far.

I plan to have a classmate possibly stand over my shoulder and help me stop color correction before I go too far, because I cannot discern this by myself. Well despite the waves of the ocean, the path we forge is the path we've already set sail upon, and there's sometimes nothing we can do to stop the waves that rock the ship. The best we can do is hold on, and ride out the storm. Keeping a hopeful eye on our horizons in the spirit that calmer seas will come ahead and help us reach our destination safely. I know I'm learning from a very well credited source, and that definitely helps. I will hold out for the next horizon as long as they rise each day.


For now, that is all.
Ciao,

LS

No comments:

Post a Comment