Sunday, September 21, 2014

Traveling from Denver to Rome

Sunday: Sept 21, 2014


The sunrise this morning was beautiful, a typical expectation for  a Colorado native. Thoughts rushed through my head, the second it lifted from my pillow in a blur. Thoughts that slammed my consciousness with the heavy reality that I would be leaving the country today in only a matter of hours. Of course this realization sent more adrenaline through me than most 7:00 mornings, and I was quick to rise and shower for my new adventure. Europe, such an amazing place I would be blessed to visit. Art, such a wonderful study to enjoy in such a place, need I elaborate? A journey to where an amazing culture (probably the most influential) all began; could I really ask for more out of a college fall semester? Here I sit in the lounge of Chicago's O'Hare airport, at gate K 15 waiting for my transcontinental flight to Rome. The people around me, buzzing with their own agendas in their own complicated worlds. I wonder what their reasons for going to Rome are, what they're feeling. Could they be as excited as I am? Is that even possible? A gentleman directly behind me is very well dressed, sitting in pressed slacks with his fine luggage and golden jewelry. His rich cologne is slightly overwhelming, and his thick Italian accent sort of explains it all. The streaks of grey above his sideburns in that thick slicked back hair suggests a wisdom that has come with life experiences only my imagination could label. Who's to say this guy's actually a made man, but who's to say he isn't? I know my imagination is wild and creative, sometimes (more than often, let's be honest) goes a little higher in the clouds than that of the average twenty year old man, it keeps me entertained.

 I have these fantasies of what Rome will be like. My curiosity and dangerously creative imagination have their own devious methods that I am rarely on track with. It seems like the cinematic aspects of an Italy portrayed on the silver screen for years, are dashing as thoughts through my mind like Ben Hur with his chariot of four horses. What of Troy? Of Sparta? When the sun rises in the Mediterranean is it as passionate, as musical and jaw dropping as it did when Brad Pitt as Achilles witnessed? Or how about the real Achilles, a guy like that must've enjoyed the little things in life once in a while, like the magenta cobalt sunrises with silver clouds and thick sea breeze air to breathe. I can't blame those ancient men for fighting for their own chunks of land in this mystical place. From what I've heard it's been more than worth fighting for. Now even though I will not be touring Greece or most of that region, I will indeed be traveling to Palermo and Sicily which definitely had Grecian influence and inhabitants for hundreds of years far back before my time. Their taste, and exquisite appetite for entertainment lives on through the Teatro Greco, which I will visit if I have to kill to get there. To see Andrea Bocelli sing "Besame Mucho" might just stop my heart or something worse... worth it? Is that even a question? I yearn to shoot pics, see the sights, EAT THE FOOD, and sleep under foreign stars. Soon, very soon this fantasy will be a reality. Though I too must remember this is school, as I will be required to do several assignments of which are very important.

I want to thank all of my family and professors who made this trip possible for me today. I couldn't make it without you, and I owe you the appreciation and wonderful experiences that will come with this life changing adventure. To my family at home, I love you and will stay in touch as much as possible. Words on a blog cannot explain the colors that fill the mind which enlighten memories that go with such an experience, but I promise I will try.

Thank you, talk to you soon!


LS

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like maybe you'll be seated next to the Italian man on the flight....what's for dinner?

    ReplyDelete