Tuesday, September 23, 2014

A walk In Perugia

9/23 Journal

             Today, a trip to Corciano made the tables turn in my mind. Not only was this town a complete change from every expectation I had in my mind of the term "small town", but it did so with such finesse and grace I could honestly not have been more impressed. The walls have a story behind them, with every pebble, fracture, and crevice.  The doors look like they once housed Divinci himself. From narrow cobble streets, to the sliver like windows on the outer walls of the village where only arrows went through; the place has a living breathing history to say the least, and its still alive today. With the company of several adorable fuzzy cats, the town has a cozy atmosphere. The type of atmosphere that is only portrayed in sweet post cards from out of country relatives and fortunate coworkers enjoying that vacation that you always wanted to go on, but just couldn't get away. Though there's work involved in this semester in heaven on Earth, and that much is clear; this is the best "vacation" I've ever had.

            Warm smiles are found everywhere on the faces of visitors and citizens alike, and it's not that hard to accept nor believe; because honestly its one of the most... no it IS the most amazing place I have ever been to in my life. From ordering gelato in Italian, (my third language to learn) to the good hike up to the village gates past vineyards and the most green valleys, I feel happy and accomplished to say the least. I can order the food that fills every craving, and wipes away every strife, then go and burn it off by walking the racetrack like streets of Perugia. Though the language barrier is still present in those that work the villa, and us awesome students who currently occupy it, there is always a mutual expression: the smile. I have never met such great hospitality as a complete stranger in a very strange and very different country. Italy is strange, its true! It has flare in its strange ways, but strange none the less. Every semi-truck is an overcab style snub nose type rig. Nothing bearing the proud ruby symbol of "Peterbilt" rolls the countryside over here. In fact, I am yet to see an American car. Being 6'5" cars aren't my choice of travel here anyways, because most of them look like they came out of my matchbox collection from my childhood. Not that buss travel is any better: holy lack of legroom! I at first was largely concerned about what these poor people in these sub-compact sub-compacts did in the winter months, and how those shopping cart wheels would ever get them through the snow when it hit me... Mediterranean... Oh yeah! IM IN ITALY. I still want to think twice before I accept that fact. It can't be so, this is a dream. Especially after seeing Corciano today, and living the town and its beautiful architecture that looks like the first set from "Romeo and Juliet" kid you not. This place will be hard to leave that's no question. I miss those at

        I started formal Italian language lessons today, and am more surprised than I thought I'd be. It's actually not as close to Spanish as I thought. The conjugation process is more complex than I initially assumed. A very wise, and wonderful woman told me today "The German language is intended to direct orders, the English language is for business. Now the French language, that's for love! But the Italians... the Italian language is for talking to the heavens." That woman was my very awesome Italian teacher. She is so considerate and caring, she feels like family though she's a complete stranger. I never saw one frown, nor heard one somber tone or expression. She's funny and knows it and that is an excellent quality in a professoressa. Tomorrow (Wednesday, the 24th of September) we have Italian almost the whole day, and I really look forward to it. To think that the first lesson was to get ice cream, and eat it too... literally says a lot about a professoressa, especially one with such great credentials. I really like this group I'm traveling with too. There sure are a lot of laughs going around, but none at each other only in good fun. The food is fantastic, the friends are new and food is fantastic. Did I mention the food? Oh and the meals here are really good, man I just know I'm going to need to walk those hills more and more often as my appetite grows for this amazing cuisine. It's late, and I have a big day tomorrow, filled with incredible learning opportunities and another realm of life, hidden waiting to be experienced. After today's tour though, I don't know if it can beat it.

Thank you for reading, it does my heart some bonus points to know that I can share this trip, and my feelings with the world wide web.

Keep it classy!

LS






No comments:

Post a Comment